I've been arguing with some guys on another site that claim anything over 200yds is too far to shoot an Elk. I've been told I'm not a hunter,just a shooter because I would if needed shoot an Elk at 300-350yds.

They say a "real" hunter would never take a shot that far. ...

"Nuts."

3 or 4 years ago I found a herd of 80 or so elk atop a knoll in open sage country. We got within 600 yards from a higher knoll but were absolutely unable to get closer without exposing ourselves in the sage. After watching them for 4-1/2 to 5 hours through sunshine, rain, sleet, snow and finally more sunshine, they finally started to move at sundown. As they moved off the knoll, I was able to get closer. The last 100 yards were covered on my back, pushing myself head-first through 6" of snow, the sage and cactus with my feet. At the end I was still 350 yards (measured later with a GPS) from the bull I wanted. With only minutes of shooting light left and no way to get closer, I took the shot. The bull went down in his tracks, got up and took 2-3 steps, and went down for good.

Granted, I practice shooting at 200 yards for the most part, 300 yards frequently, and 400 yards once or twice a year. I was prepared for the shot.

I put people who feel there is never a need for long range shots in the same category as people who feel there is no reason to push .45-70 bullets past 1800fps. If that is their decision, fine - but I'll make my own decisions. That 350 yard shot was the result of more hunting and rifleman skill than any other I have taken in 20 years of Colorado big game hunting.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/10/04.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.