We were in Gardner Canyon on Wednesday Jan 20. Took both dogs. We rounded a curve on a small hill and a javi ran past me. The dogs were a bit below me. Suddenly I realized there were another dozen or more! Abbey, the female, ended up loping into the sounder first. They scattered and she got out of there. Thor loped through next and all of a sudden one bumped him from behind. He yipped and turned around. That is when he got this chomp on his face. It all happened very quickly. There was no way I could have covered the distance of 35 yds and helped. He was trying to get away about the same time I unloaded several rounds into the air to scare them. Thor managed to escape. When I inspected him, he appeared to have a small puncture on his upper lip close to the nose. It did not go through the lip to the inside. I let it bleed for a while then washed it off with bottled water. We continued to hunt.

Over the next few days I monitored the injury for swelling and pus and all was well until today, Sat Jan 23. There was swelling that wasn't there the day before. I decide to take him to the vet's. The vet trimmed off the hair and we discoved two holes! Turns out he was bitten all the way through with two of those canines of the javi. The holes connect. The vet flushed fluid in one hole and it came out the other. He is on antibiotics and gets a few days off. He gets a few hot compresses to help with the draining. Funny he sure isn't in any discomfort that I can see. Live and learn. Wonder how he will react to the smell or sight of javis in the future.

I sent the above to a few friends. The update: Swelling is gone. Took him hunting yesterday, Jan 26. He is fine and back to normal except for a small lump and a bald lip.

A couple of pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]