Originally Posted by Partagas
Maybe I should start its own thread but both of my buddies have a diesel. One is a duramax and the other a cummins. They each say for offroad they suck. They are too heavy I guess. They start sliding too easy or slide on slick side grades sideways way too easy. They each said they have never been stuck more times than since they have gotten their diesels.

I am considering a 3/4 ton and am torn on diesel vs gas and wondering what say you about the offroad issue?

Your friends are spot on. When I got my 2500 ram cummins in 06, I proceded to get myself stuck 3 times within a month of getting it in the snow (got it during thanksgiving) I'd never gotten my toyota truck stuck in the 12 previous years. Part of it was the crappy factory tires, but the other part is that massive heavy engine in the front.

Diesel trucks are great for pulling heavy loads on the road. They are a poor choice for an offroad vehicle.

If I was building an offroader, I'd stick with a 1/2 ton truck. Plenty of people have pimped out and lifted diesel trucks to look like offroaders, but I've yet to see a serious offroad truck that is a diesel.