Originally Posted by idahostalker
does the 338 rcm have any advantages over the 338 win mag? I dont really know much about the 338 rcm other than short video clips i have seen and supposidly you get the same performance from the 338 rcm with a 20 inch barrel that you would with a 338 with a 24 inch barrel. im planning on buying a 338 really soon and i was wondering if maybe the 338 rcm would be a better choice over the win mag. I reload so take that into consideration.
............Performance wise on any game you could use a 338 on, the game won`t know the difference between these two, whether it be from a 20" tubed 338 RCM or from a 24" barreled 338 Win.

I believe what`s more important is to choose a rifle with most of your personal preferences. If it were me, I really like the handier walnut/matte Ruger Hawkeye in the 338 RCM with its 20" barrel. It has that DGR look to it! And in the the right cartridges, the shorter barrels are no slouches when it comes to very high performance levels....I just happen to have a little experience along the lines dealing with shorter barrels!!

You`re a reloader as you state, all you need is good 338 RCM brass availability, which as of yet, I haven`t read or heard of any problems in that particular area.

Though I owned a 300 Win for alot of years, I too prefer the non-belted casings.

I think that if you were to go, handle and play around with a 338 RCM Hawkeye for awhile as I have, it just may grow on you faster than most 338 Win rifles.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger