FWIW:

I ran a DPMS at ThunderRanch.

Another student ran a Colt.

He had stoppages. I did not.

The difference is that I took my rifle to a US Army and Colt trained armorer. The guy has about 30 years experience with the AR under all conditions (including his own combat tours as a grunt).

He stripped my rifle down completely and re-assembled it with attention to the issues that actually arise under stress. Once "proofed" my rifle ran flawlessly.

BTW-He said that he has no issues with DPMS. A couple of tweaks and it was ready to rock.

In contrast the Colt went straight from the box, to the range for sight in, about 500 rounds break in (plinking) and then to ThunderRanch.

The fact that it was a Colt did not make it magic. The fact that mine was a DPMS did not cause a failure.

Each gun is an individual and must be dealt with as such.

DPMS uses good parts and assembles them well.

That being said, a sportical is 100% low dollar parts. It does not even come with sights. It is not combat ready. But it is a solid, low end AR.

Add a decent scope and go have fun.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II