"Bunny" boots are those big rubber military surplus boots that look like they belong in a cartoon. They make your feet sweat, they are heavy and they don't fit tightly so you get blisters. They are torture devices that should be agressively avoided.

Pak boots are a two-part boot, usually with a insulating felt liner and a rubber outer boot with leather uppers. The best are made by Sorrel. It's miserable to try to walk any distance in pak boots. But they work OK if you don't plan on walking; just sitting or standing.

Mukluks are insulated boots with an integral knee-high gaiter. Mukluks are more comfortable and there's a military surplus variety that's not a bad solution for cold weather hunting. But they don't really keep your feet warm when it's really cold and you're just standing or sitting.

Modern mountaineering boots are a good compromise. Mountaineering boots are similar to ski boots in that they have an inner insulated boot and an outer plastic shell. The shell has a some flexibility in the ankles so you can walk in them. They will keep your feet warm in the coldest conditions but they are intended for short approach hikes and ice climbing. It's not easy to walk in them.

For passive endeavors in really cold weather, I recommend either pak boots or mountaineering boots. If you are going to use this kind of footwear it better be really cold. Like you will be standing on ice for ice fishing or goose hunting with single digit air temps and some wind chill.

For hunting in snow, I recommend a good pair of insulated hiking boots (with a pair of OR gaiters) or the military surplus variety of mukluks.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.