After shooting deer with several common and not so common calibers, I've all but made up my mind to settle on a couple of decent loads in my 30-06 that can be used for just about anything within reason.
I have a new Hawkeye in 257Rob that will be my light rifle that can also be my wifes rifle if she chooses to hunt.
I keep dinking with different calibers and rifles each year, spending money that could go for a hunt. I guess I'm also a little tired of shooting groups trying to get something workable. I would rather get in some field practice along with shooting for fun. Time is precious.
This all may be born out of having to work harder than I think a guy should to get rifles to shoot in recent years.
Looking back in notes and from memory I did not have to work this hard to get rifles to shoot well years back and that was before I messed with triggers, bedding and had cheap scopes on everything.
I don't expect my rifles to shoot bug holes, but getting 1 1/2 MOA from the get go should not be to much to ask.

Seems to me that some of the best hunters I know hunt with one or two rifles for everything they do.
Just my .02

Last edited by Nailbender59; 03/14/10.