Little Pike,<P>A beginners 22lr rifle should be no semi auto (the most important shot is the first one).<BR>The piece will be either single shot or with a REMOVABLE magazine.<BR>Bolt actions with a wide open receiver (one which enables the shooter to check the action without having to put the rifle on the side) are better.<BR>Another good thing is a security which blocks not only the trigger but also the firing pin.<BR>A good trigger and match grade open sights are also a must. The scope might come later, after all...<BR>with a low budget, You will find all these things on a second hand rifle. The ruger 77/22 is a really good piece, but a bit expensive. Used Brno rifles are cheaper, and probably the best bargain on the market now. <P>I would avoid chinese sticks, I tried once and quickly got rid of it: crappy steel crappy trigger, poor finish, etc.<P>You might try used military training rifles. I had a clip fed remington with a peep sight and heavy barrel, a real tack driver, and so smooth an action... this for a ridiculous amount of cash, and this was in France, not in the USA...<BR>Good luck and shoot straight,<P>olivier

Age quod agis