Mine is a Model H Carbine and it says it was built in 1928. I know it has been reblued at some time and it's obvious the stock was redone. I suppose it is walnut since it looks factory but it has lots of grain for a 99. Maybe it has been replaced. It has the scope so that's another modification. It actually is a pretty little rifle and very light and handy. The scope is an old Busnell Banner and is not very clear. I think it is a 1.5 to 4.5x. I wish I could find a scope in the same straight tube configuration to replace it since it does not adjust consistently. It shoots about 2" at 100 yards with 180 grain round nose loads. I think it would do 1" with a better scope. My eyes are not good enough to see iron sights anymore but I can shoot a peep sight very well. My old .22HP was made in 1920. It's a model "F" featherweight takedown model. It's original except for sling swivels and a drilled for a scope. I really would like to get a deer this year with the .303. Great cartridge. Sorry for helping turn this thread into a Savage 99 forum! Dee

"That God could and would, if He were sought."