LT DAN,

While a great many American gun writers do recommend the .338 as perfect for African plains game, this is yet another example of American gun writers recommending cartridges more powerful than most guides would recommend. Almost to a man, the African PH's I know recommend the .30-06 for plains game. Amazing, isn't it?

As for the original question, I have never hunted Cape buffalo with a .338 but know several people who have. Without exception, they have killed their buffalo neatly.

Amd why wouldn't they? The .375 (or 9,3) minimums for buffalo were put in place a century ago, when bullets weren't nearly as good as they are now. A good, heavy .338 bullet is going to do as much damage to a buffalo as any other mid-.30 bullet.

I also saw where somebody on this thread brought up the old notion about a bigger rifle working better when the shot isn't perfect. This simplies that you can shoot a buffalo around the edges with a .375 but you can't with a .338. This has always been BS and always will be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck