Originally Posted by flinch444
I think when the slide takes a round from the magazine it slows the slide a bit more than if you were to slingshot it empty.

You're right, but everything is relative - the slide still hits the frame harder, and wears the sear and extractor more with a heavier spring. Yep, it might be a tiny amount of extra wear, but over many thousands of rounds it can make a big difference.

The $15 solution is an EGW (or similar) firing pin stop. As you know the bottom of the firing pin stop is the bearing surface that cocks the hammer. The original JMB design called for a radius edge on the stop. The radius doesn't provide any leverage for the slide. Carrying chamber-empty was common back then so the army requested a beveled firing pin stop to make the 1911 easier to hand cycle. Changing back to the radius firing pin stop will take more energy from the recoil spring and slow the recoil cycle without speeding up the slide returning to battery.

The EGW firing pin stop comes with a straight edge (no radius) so you or a 'smith will have to file/stone the radius. It's an easy tweak and only $15 if you nuke the part. BTDT blush

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost