Originally Posted by North61
I wouldn't be too worried about using a 6.5, as a minimum caliber for a smaller person.

I wouldn't use regular 160 grainers however. They seem overrated in my own testing, as they often core separate. 140 partitions are my go to bullet. I have a nice Rem 660 in 6.5 Rem Mag that my wife will use next year as her moose gun.

No worries.

Me either. And I agree with your comment about regular 160s:

[Linked Image]

This one came from a <300 lb cow caribou. They sure tear the 'jeebers out of lynx - I know.

I think a lot of responders forgot that the original question did not ask if the rifle was capable, rather if anyone had used it and how effective it was. I think if I use it again, it'll either be with the 160 Woodleigh, or maybe some old 140 XFBs. I knew firsthand - before Barnes Xs even existed- that the 223 worked alright on moose. I just happen to believe there are better combinations and would not recommend it to anyone. But I sure wouldn't hesitate to use a special rifle for moose hunting, especially the smaller eastern or Shiras moose, if that rifle happened to be chambered in the 6.5 Swede.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/02/10.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.