Statjunk: Unless one is extremely patient and skilled, first effort tannings will likely be a severe disappointment. A few questions... hair on, hair off, natural, or buckskin color, and would you be happy with a rather rigid product.

Truly tanning an elk hide is going to require hide thinning, especially in the neck and shoulder areas. Ones best bet is to google up "tannery" rather than "taxidermist." Yes, it will be expensive, but we typically get what we pay for.

As mentioned, tanning and especially breaking a hide down is a ton of work. One also needs to dispose of chemicals. If one values their time, and would like a fine product, a tannery is the way to go. Still, if you want a DIY product, do some library research and a trial run or two on a smaller subject.

Many of the solutions, paste, etc used by taxidermist do put a tan on, but the capes are moistened during mounting to keep them pliable. They subsequently become quite rigid on drying.

I've had several deer, elk, and coyote hides commercialy tanned. Elk and deer hides carrying winter hair are a disaster, as the hair is hollow, thick, and brittle. Every manipulation of the hide results in shed and broken hair. Do not floor a winter hide in a traffic area, direct sunlight, or lay over a couch or rail where it will be subject to handling or abrasion. We eventually yard saled every one of our winter hides.

My wife, with a growing affinity for hunting in beach weather, has taken several elk still carrying their summer coats. That hair is as slick and bright as a curried thoroughbred can be, and after 20+ years those hides still do not shed. Extremely attractive, but summer hides are not found during the typical fall seasons.

Again, the only winter hides I'm happy with are hair off buckskin. Extremely soft and pliable, attractive, and useful for making other products.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/29/10.

1Minute