I have never gotten the point of ultra mags and the big weatherby mags (7mm weatherby and up) as "hunting" cartridges. When you really think about it, they dont kill animals any deader, I have NEVER seen any difference in how quick they kill the animal, and to me all they do is recoil alot harder wich makes people alot less accurate. accuracy is everything. An animal shot in the guts is going to run a HELL of a long ways no matter if you shoot it with a 223 or a 458. From what i have seen, alot of people are accurate with 270's 06's ect... but as soon as they pick up a magnum and especially ultra mags and the larger weatherby's, their accuracy goes out the window. When you compare a 30-06 to a 300 ultra or weatherby, Its the exact same bullet coming out of both guns, but the ultra's and weatherby's are burning alot more powder and have alot more recoil (wich make you less accurate) for a little flatter trajectory and the same results. I see people all the bragging how they have all these big magnums and all i do is laugh at them. Alot of people have the mind set that if they have a big "SUPER" magnum that they will kill more animals. In reality, i garuntee they are not killing any more animals than me or anybody else just because they have a big ass gun. In fact, in the long run ill proble end up recovering more if not all my animals just because i hunt with a gun that im not affraid of and i can put it in the boiler room. To me only point to have a big azz "super" magnum is if your always shooting more than 500 yards. Even then, Ill NEVER call those people who shoot those type of ranges hunters. That aint huntin!!! Thats shootin!!! Its not that hard to close in on animals to a reasonalbe shooting distance. all you have to do is be smart and use what the good lord gave ya. Now i dont have any ill feelings towards people who have a ultra or big weatherby because theirs alot of people who have them plainly just because they like the rifle and cartridge. I do have a problem with the people who think they have to have one because they think it will help them kill more and because they think it makes them look like a bad ass. I do like magnums (my favorit rifle rifle is my 338 win mag) but i will never have a ultra mag or a big weatherby mag.