Originally Posted by Fleming
This subject should light the fire !!! Over my 45 years of reloading I've just about tried them all,bullets that is--but I made the switch to Barnes TSX 130 gr pills in my 264 mag with excellent results.Very small entrance hole and no ugly bowling ball size exit hole.Have read some comments about Barnes not opening up properly but as to date haven't experienced that at all.The TSX seems to do all it's damage internally and exit in one piece.I haven't tried Bergers although I intend to this summer.I'm not questioning Bergers quality or killing power but what about all those loose fragments flying around.Some kill shots I've seen with Bergers look like they were hit with "Varmit Grenades." As always I'm open for the opposite point of view!!!
..........................Well! That is what the Berger VLDs are suppose to do; "look like they were hit with varmit grenades" as you state above!! As far as those "loose fragments" flying around? That`s what they do; explode into fragments after a few inches of initial penetration. More likely to fly around inside the animal than outside.

Vs the Barnes, the Berger "hunting" VLDs simply offer a different method, style or killing affect with their wider, very explosive, and far more massive wound channels into the vitals. If you`re into saving varmit hides or pelts, the VLDs may not be for you.

I`ve used 26 30 cal 168 gr "hunting" VLDs on 26 hogs (all one shot), with no more than four of those hogs running 10 yards after impact. So far, I haven`t had any need to track any hog since starting my usage of the VLDs for hogs.

Last Nov, one bull elk harvested using a 190 "hunting" VLD, with one shot through the right shoulder bone @ 328 yards. The bull staggered two to four yards and then,,,,down he went! After the thick right shoulder bone was completely penetrated, the 190 VLD went on to continue its massive destruction, with even some bullet fragments found on the opposite side just below the hide.

Sure! The Barnes will penetrate further, but the VLDs leave far greater, more massive wound channels, and I`ll bet further, a higher percentage of DRT kills with less yardage ran by the game after impact.

As to which bullet? All depends on the affect you wish to have on the game you`re hunting! No more, no less!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger