Originally Posted by TopCat
It'll work fine for blasting ammo...that's basically what it's for, but for all the variables that come into play with surplus powders...with a few exceptions...if it is priced anywhere near commercial powders, buy it cheap or I would just get 8# of a fresh commercial powder.

There was some reason(s) why it was surplused. It might be too old, too much flash...burn dirty...not temp resistant.

8# of fresh commercial powder will also load 2k of 223 ammo at about .05 a round.

TC

I have shot many scores of pounds of surplus powder over the past 40 years, and never encountered a problem with any of it. Some of it gives very high velocity and very accurate loads with the same charge.

WC852 is one the powders that accomplishes this in my 270, 280 and 270 Wby and 7X57 rifles. In my 280 Ackley it was the most accurate powder with velocity at just under 3000 fps with 160 gr partitions. smile

It is also a very good powder in the 30-06 with 220 gr bullets, which I load for a friend of mine for hunting wood bison.

Ted