Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by TopCat
It'll work fine for blasting ammo...that's basically what it's for, but for all the variables that come into play with surplus powders...with a few exceptions...if it is priced anywhere near commercial powders, buy it cheap or I would just get 8# of a fresh commercial powder.

There was some reason(s) why it was surplused. It might be too old, too much flash...burn dirty...not temp resistant.

Ever actually use any of the surplus powders out there or has this info been plucked off the net?

Not only do I have 8# of WC845, but I also have over 12# of WC852 (H450 equivalent). Both are fresh, consistent, easy to measure, clean and priced right. There are many folks who have bought these powders here in Canada from Higginsons over the yrs and to date, I've never heard a complaint yet. In fact, now that the supply has dried up, most lament the loss of availability.

You may have misunderstood what I was saying.

All the surplus powders I am currently using are high quality, and are comparable to commercial lots in quality, however, they vary in burn rate. My comments were about current US pricing.

If it's working out for you guys up there price wise that's great, but in the states, the difference in cost between using WC 846 and BLC-2 in the 223 only works out to about a penny a round.

Actually, neither one of those two are the best choice for 223, so for the extra penny I can run 4895 or Varget that are better all-around powders.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...