Bill Tibbe - Thanks a million for that article - that kind of explanation is exactly what I have been seeking.

The questions I should be asking then, of the handful of old-timers that were in Buhmiller's shop when he was active in making barrels, or who discussed them with him, is:

Which of the several methods did he employ, assuming that he was consistent in doing them one way. If he was boring blanks, then he was likely machine reaming and lapping, rather than button reaming and lapping.

I watched a reproducer from Williamsburg make a portion of a flintlock barrel once, and he formed a quarter barrel length, about 14" long, from a flat block, hammer forging it on an anvil into a pipe shape, and flux-welding it as he rolled it into the round shape. When he was done, he had a pipe-shaped piece that would eventually be joined with butt welds to 3 similar pieces, making a flintlock barrel with 1 long weld the length of the barrel and 3 circular welds. These welds were, he said, the weakspot of this weapon, and this method of manufacture, used in the colonies from the mid to late 1700s, was eventually, he told us, replaced with a twist method that was much stronger with better, surer welds. But I do not know how accurate what he told us was, nor where the technology went from there.

Thanks again for the input

Vincent Koers