Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I think many are missing the point!! The question is "what small caliber"...lots of 270 fans are polling in but since it's taken all North American and lots of African game I don't place it in the "SMALL" category.Since I have owned a 6mm REM two 243's and a 257 AI Rob...all can kill effectively at 200yds with good bullets and shot placement....so staying in the perameters of the question I'll take the 6mm because without a doubt "IT" has the edge over the 243 at that range.Not saying the 25 isn't good [it's great] but here again "SMALLER CALIBER"

"I'll take the 6mm because without a doubt "it" has an edge over the 243 at that range" Small edge indeed. Same can be said about the 25's over the 6mm's and IMHO the "edge" is greater when comparing 6mm's ve 25's.
I say the best small caliber deer rifle is the 257 Roberts or a 25/06. I just like the heavier slugs available for the 25's,but if a fellow likes the 6mm/243 there is nothing wrong with them at all. Especially for deer. Lots of Bears here in B.C. and I feel a bit more comfortable with 115-120 gr bullets in one of my 25's (Rob & Roy) than I would with a 6mm.
This range of calibers being talked about is my favorite (6mm to lets say 308/30/06 in size)they are accurate and easy to shoot and economical which makes them fun.
I also would like to vote for the7mm/08 which I do not own but plan on rectifying this situation ASAP.