Flinch, not sure but the 284 is not based on the 308, or '06, or anything else I know of but I am not an expert on the 284. It was designed with a rebated rim, fatter and about the length of a 308 for short actions, designed with a capacity like a 280 according to Wiki in it's inception. I think the case was 'drawn from scratch' but may be wrong, intro'd in 1963 I believe.

Having heard some meaningful gains in performance with new powders like RL17, wondering what real world differences might be there, and received a PM on one gent's performance.

162 at 3070 w/23" tube IIRC. SO, if a 7/08 shooter wanted long distance, a nice gain would be had in the 284, still a short action, but a substantial gain over just doing a say AI version of the 7/08.

I appreciate the replies gang. I love the little 260 and have shot the 7/08s a good bit and like them also, but seeing how alot of long range guys stuff the high bc 162 Amax into the 7/08, figured the 284 might be a logical step up, while having better bore life then the WSM and SAUM, using less powder, blast, and perhaps recoil as well. No doubt in long actions a 280 and 7 RM loaded up do well for their intended use, but I do happen to prefer short actions when possible.

I learned also some hard core users neck up 6.5-284 Lapua brass, others claim WW is as accurate, but less brass life. Also, bore life is said to be much better than the 6.5 version, and offsets the higher cost of bullets. High BC/SD can be had for both, though stuffing long 7 bullets into a short action takes some consideration, i.e. mag box length, etc.

Anyway, I have a better understanding now of where the 284 fits and it's performance envelope. It's been jacked down to 6mm and 6.5mm, and I believe even 22 cal. Up to 338 and likely higher, but the 284 may have never hit it's true potential in terms of commercial success.

I do prefer a std size case like a 7/08 for 2 reasons, you can form brass from other readily found cases if need be, and I believe you can put one extra round in the magazine.

I think if one plans finding WW 284 brass is not much an issue. Smooth proper feeding and setting up a mag box for intended loads might be more critical issues...or concerns.

I can certainly see the place for the 284, even with the 7/08 and fairly popular 270 WSM for short action lovers if one wants to reach out a little farther at times.

Edit: John G, thanks, was typing when you posted wink

Last edited by 65BR; 08/04/10.