Hi Jim I never misunderstood you, just passing on my experience. I was just glancing over an old article by Ed Matunas, written in Gun Digest or Handloaders Digest or similar. It was on 270 vs. 30-06, comparing how close actual rifles shot factory loads and handloads to published speeds, and he found a big disparity in HIS test rifles, several of each. The 270s consistently came in 'slow' and I have an opinion on that, I think that smaller bores may be more fickle, when you think of it, more powder is burned faster in a bbl with a bigger hole i.e. higher expansion ratio. Any inconsistencies one might expect in mass mfg. bbls might give more issue in a smaller bore all else equal, again, BOTH rounds are about identical in case capacity. Although often smaller bores are more accurate in many guns, when one looks at custom built guns with custom bbls in say a 35 bore like a 358 win or 350 RM, one often sees VERY high accuracy, and I believe it's because they are less 'fickle' in the burn from shot to shot due to that high expansion ratio and have very low E.S. and S.D. (std. deviation, not sect. density).

Point is, absolutely barrels vary in speeds, and in a round like a 7/08, a difference of 100 fps is not surprising given its a factory tube. I had a friend ironically who had a custom 7/08 AI built, and it's speeds were FAR LESS than a NON AI 7mm-08, all I can fathom is a SLOW bbl. He punched it out to 284 btw.

SO, not arguing your results, we can all use the same equipment and things can/do vary often with subtle differences, sometimes more. I admit, I stood on the 7/08s pretty hard in my hunting loads, but they were safe in my rifle. If loading in the future, odds are if I can get better accuracy a gr or two from max, I will use it for better case life.

My 7/08s DID shoot their best when using top loads and bullets into the lands. In my 700V - One hole 5-shot groups with 139 Hornady's and 140 BTs, as well as 150 SMK HP. Putting the OAL down to mag restriction, and they opened up a little, but still shot very well for hunting.

Bobin, I agree, they are all very close. Part of my interest in the 284 may come from data seen from Comp shooters who milk the max out of their rifles, not FL sizing, etc. and standing on their loads, but as much that, knowing many new powders have come out and performance has been enhanced in many rounds whether 50 fps or 100+. I am sure those inclined could take a 280 aptly throated, stuff 162-180s with the best of today's powders and run right with top 284 loads. BTW, one other point, comp shooters often have more bbl than hunters want to carry. That is always something to consider when comparing rounds, etc.

Thanks.