Originally Posted by Timberbuck
You are possibly mistaken/incorrect about the upgrades to the SLC NEU and upgrades to SLC models in general. Also one must remember that around the time when Swarobright was added Swarovski also went to more neutral lenscoatings in their binos.

This is a quote from Swarovski product literature around 2008 in reference to the NEU SLC models.

"Quality control of the roof prisms has been refined to less than two arc seconds"
"Production accuracy standards of the lenses have been raised to the finest , premium photo quality level"
"Improved color fidelity has also been acheived through refined lens coating application.

Swarovski did more than just change the armor on the SLC NEU , they improved the optics, and later added the easy clean coatings. On the previous SLC they added swarobright and went to more color neutral lens coatings.

IMO an SLC from 10 years ago is not in the same class optically as a recent NEU SLC. Even a early production SLC with Swarobright does not compare to a NEU SLC made in the last couple of years.

Yes I guess I could possibly be mistaken/incorrect with my previous info. But my info was not based on my opinion or from any advertising literature from the company. I posted info that was directly from Swarovski techs that work on the products every day. They said and I quote- "the only coating up grade to SLC's since Swarobright was the lens exterior coating "Swaroclean" put on to protect the lenses- it does not change the optics." They said that is the only basic difference between a 2004 SLC and a 2007. Same with the EL's- other than a change to a different focus speed in 2004; the only other change was the Swaroclean put on in 2006. And I really do not see that there would be any real difference between a 2007 Swaro of any model and a 2009. I looked at a 2007 EL and 2009 EL, and I could tell NO difference; and I think anyone that tells you different is blowing smoke. In fact if both were in new condition and you had someone go back and forth between them with out knowing which one was which- I do not think they could be able to tell you.

Every company makes changes and upgrades and I am sure Swarovski is one of them with their quality controls. But if we are talking about real changes to the optics- that has not been done according to them. Same thing with the 8x30 SLC's and a 8x32 EL- they said the lenses and coatings in them are identical. Just the body style and size of the objectives are different.

Every one needs to come to their own conclusions. I believe what they told me; and my own 2 eyes "to me" verified it. I looked real close at a 2003 8x32 EL and a 2009 8x32 model and I or any one else would be hard pressed to see ANY optical difference. And other than magnification even my 1999 7x30 SLC, did not look much different from a 2005 SLC 8x30 that my brother in law had and also a 2009 8x30 SLC that I did have.

When my 7x30 SLC was in for a tune up and I was also looking to see if they could put the lenses with the easy clean on them, they told me like I quoted above in an email directly from them that:

" When you called you asked for the new lenses with the EZ to clean coatings , unfortunately the glass is not available for 7x30 SLC�s, they have been discontinued. According to the technician, your lenses are in almost perfect condition."

I also talked on the phone after that with the tech working on them and asked him his opinion about any difference he saw between my 1999 7x30 SLC and a 2009 8x30 SLC. And he told me that "other than the obvious mag. difference, it is only the outer armor of the NEU and the easy clean lens coating-there is no real optical difference; that 7x30 of yours is in perfect shape and is a fine piece of glass."

To my eyes (the only ones I need to please) I am happy with what I now have. And I personally would not hesitate to buy an early-mid 2000's SLC and feel that they are just as good as the new ones. Also there have been some reports from the people that have tried out the new ones that the focus is somewhat stiff. I found this out with the 2009 SLC that I had- I thought that the focus was a little sticky. Because my 1999 7x30 is silky as olive oil. That may be an issue where the new ones will loosen up, but I found it a little bit of a problem especially with the 30 mm format with the focus out in the front of the bino-because I focus my 7x30 with my pinky or ring finger and it is no problem.

IMHO -Everyone just needs to see what works for them, but I would be confident that a well cared for older SLC, is still a great piece of glass.