The first chainsaw-cut slab is about 3.5" thick - perhaps generous for a stock blank but it gives us a bit of room to correct grain alignment mistakes. The second (and third) slabs are much thicker, and will be broken down separately on the bandsaw mill. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Back to the chainsaw slabber, this is the log surface after the heavy slab shown in the previous photo was removed. We waterblasted the surface to expose the grain - hence the shine. Note that we have particularly dark mineral streaking on the extreme outside of the heart, on one side of the tree only. This band is only approx 2.5" wide - we tried to capture this is some flat sawn blanks but the width of the band didn't make it easy:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next slab coming off:
[Linked Image]

And the remnants of the log. It might make a pretty counter-top, but unfortunately it's full of metal. We haven't done anything with this bit yet:
[Linked Image]

With the slabs removed, another scan with the metal detector revealed more nails and wire. Here's the miller excavating one of them.
[Linked Image]

I've skipped a few photos out of the sequence. The next one shows half of one of the chainsawn slabs on the bandsaw mill. This is a quartersawn cut:
[img]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/pjb20/P8210097.jpg[/img]

Last edited by PaulNZ; 08/23/10.