Mule Deer,
I have converted a number of Mexican Mausers to custom rifles and they all fed the 7x57 like poop thru a goose. I am wondering if yours had been tinkered with or was a reject or whatever?..It wasn't but a few years back when you could buy them for little money and I bought about 25 of them for next to nothing..Wish I had bought 100 of them..Also got about 5 1912 Styrs in that bunch as Mexico had some of those small rings in their arsnal..

One must be aware when purchasing Mexicans as their are a number that come under that catagory such as the Mod.37 (35?) that has the Springfield cocking piece (these are really nice ) and then you have the short action mod 98 that is decieving in that many call it a small ring and its is a large ring short action..

The Mexican action, although desirable, does not compare IMO with the G33-40, the 33 German Customs action, or the Brnos..The early round top Brno,s with the clip slot are G33 German Custom milsurp actions, then shortly thereafter the Brno factory had their own round top action in the works and it had no clip slot, then they later added the double square bridge action..I prefer the double square bridge action..

My 9.3x62 is a Brno double square bridge Mod 21. It had a chunk out of the barrel when I bought it, so I had the barrel traced with a Lothar Walthar barrell, replaced all the barrel hardware and it looks original except the barrel is 26 inches..It is a geat rifle..I have taken Buffalo and most of Africas plainsgame with it along with elk, deer and black bear..I couldn't ask for a better rifle in a better caliber! It talks! smile