What are you looking to accomplish on training your lab. Will he/she be used for marsh and uplands? Who are you sending it to for formal training? I have a couple of good trainers in mind if you need a refferance. Bird dog training season starts on August 1st. for getting a dog on wild upland birds and forest Grouse. I can't wait to get my Setter out in my favorite Grouse haunts. I took him out in a few places early last season, just to see how he would do on finding Grouse. He did execellent dispite being on a rope, & under control the whole time. This was the best way I had to show him what it's all about. No birds were shot over him during the early opener due to inexperience on holding points. It was great exposer for him and this year will be the "real" test for him. I still have to follow the golden rule for pointing breeds; if he "roads in" on a bird that he has established scent on and wont hold point, the bird will not get shot for him. [img]images/icons/blush.gif" border="0[/img] It's a tough one to follow for most beginners but it will come in due time. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]