Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
Africa is like any other country, it would depend on where you hunted in Africa..Both RSA, Namibia and Zimbabwe have some mountainous country that is probably better suited for long range rifles..

For an all around African plainsgame rifle I would opt for either a 300 or 338 Win with 200 and 210 Noslers respectively and be well armed for whatever including Eland, and the 30-06 is no slouch with 180 or 200 gr. bullets at 2700 FPS nor is the 338-06 with 210 Noslers.

For the Bushveld I have use and liked the 30-06, 338 Win., 9.3x62, 338-06, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H, 416 Rem, and many others and they all suited me.

For plainsgame take your favorite deer and elk rifle and your good to go..I would be satisfied with about any decent caliber..but never think you don't get some damn long shots in Africa just like any place else that has desert or Mountains and Africa has some real desert and some awesome mountains.

The PH may not allow you to take that kind of a shot but that is something between you and him to be cleared up before you go.

+1