Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff guys, Luis thanks for the videos, like to hear about your rifle specs, custom? OR? Leftie correct. Nice shooting btw. Little Springbok are beautiful animals to say the least. Looked like a heart shot on the Kudu. The AB would be a consideration for me depending on round chosen, I don't typically use ultra fast rounds so blowing bullets in game are not as much a concern, even up close, for me.

Thanks much also Ray, I am ALWAYS experimenting based purely on the fact I am always changing rifles, cartridges, bullets, etc. but for a hunt like that, no doubt, I would definitely have in chamber, bullets that are proven it their cal for game being hunted.

I concur, not a time or place to take risks, and I am not about that when conducting my own personal 'research' wink

65BR -

That's for the compliment, buddy. I indeed shoot a lefty rifle. That 7mm-08 in the video is actually a completely stock Savage Model 16 FLHSS Weather Warrior. It shot right at 1" just before I left for Africa with very little load work. That was plenty good with the short timeline (literally 2 months) that I had from planning to executing my Africa trip. I'm sure one could easily tweak it into a 3/4-MOA or better rifle with a little more time and load work, but it's hard to justify after seeing it perform as is.

It's funny - the kudu is the only animal where I didn't ask to see the vitals during the skinning/meat prep, but based on the impact angle (the bullet entered right at the last rib and to the left shoulder) and how fast he went down after being hit, I agree that it probably passed through the heart.

The AccuBond did its job at the speeds I listed above and I don't see having any issues with it if you're keeping it at fairly sane velocities. You don't see it in that clip, but I actually hit that kudu with a second shot as he was running away. I didn't lead him anywhere near enough and it hit him back in the haunch. Obviously, it was the first shot that did him in, I just went with the "shoot until the PH tells you to stop" philosophy (and you hear him tell me to do just that on the vid right after the unheard second shot). What was amazing is that both bullets that landed in that kudu, despite hitting in totally different areas, retained exactly the same amount of weight: 75% of their original weight.