Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
on a backback hunt that is precisely the area you NEED to be able to take a long shot. because if you are backpacking you are going to be in mountainous areas, like across a canyon or something.

Agreed. But, a longer shot is often a 250-350 yard shot when dealing with difficult terrain. When hunting mountains, I have several things I need to process before I pull the trigger.

1. If I shoot the animal, can I safely get to the animal.
2. If I shoot the animal, how long will it take me to get to the animal, and more importantly, now long will it take me to get the animal out. It can take a LONG time to go 500 yards to the next ridge over on some of the mountains I hunt.
3. If I shoot the animal, and make a poor hit at a longer range, what are the odds of me recovering the animal, if it runs 200yds down escape terrain through the thickest chit you can imagine. How much energy will I have to expend following a [bleep] blood trail to find the animal.

And lastly, but very important. If I DRT the animal, will I be able to find it once I leave my vantage point I spotted the animal at. This is especially true if you are solo and are shooting from an elevated position. Get level with the animal, and it can be very tough to find the animal, as everything looks different with an elevation change. BT/DT. Take a 400yd poke off the side of a mountain and kill a buck in a sea of blue berry bushes and mountain scrub, you better have a buddy staying at the shot sight to direct you into your buck.