Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Those who shoot the 6X47 Lapua, how do you like this round?

What would you tell someone to "promote" it over the conventional/popular .243 Win or 6mmRem?

I was told the 6X47 Lapua is extremely efficient and usually VEEEERY accurate!

Also that the cartridge rim is the 'universal' .473 diam. - so this johnny-come-lately would fit the same actions (with few if any mods) to actions for the .243 and 6mm.

Please share what you know. Thanks! wink

I'm just getting to know mine. It is my first custom build, and it has take a while to get used to it, and sort it out for what it is. I'd have to say that I'm still not "comfortable" with it. I had mine built to learn long range shooting, which I've never properly investigage before. Personally, I can't think of much that it can do compared to the 243 and 6mm remington. I think that if properly built, either of those two rounds can be very accurate also (assuming they've been built with the proper twist for the 105/115gr bullets). I suggest you spend a lot of time reading up on peoples opinions prior to jumping in with both feet.

One downside it the lack of data - I've had to compile anecdotal data from severals sources to get started, and more to find what my rifle seems to like. Nearly everyone says that h4350 and the 105s are it's bread and butter load (so far, mine seems to prefer 115's and RE17). Several postings that I've read is that the 6mm BR or 6BRX will beat it out to 600yds, then the wind becomes the deciding factor. I have seen references to it needing magnum primers for the small primers to provide consistent ignition, especially in cold weather. I've also heard that bushing your firing pin isn't a bad idea due to the pressures. This is again, anecdotal

Brass is expensive, I've found Brunos to be the cheapest source to date. I'm reforming in a Forster FL die. I've 100 pcs formed, and another 100 waiting. Another cartridge in the same performance area is the 6XC (David Tubb's brainchild), which if I read things right is basically a 22/250 necked up, with a 30 degree shoulder and longer neck. He's gotten Norma to produce brass, and I hear it can be reformed relatively easy from any 22/250 brass. It uses the large rifle primer. There is no other source for 6x47L brass other than Lapua. Not sure if you can reform 22/250 to 6x47 without some serious effort. Also, be aware there is also a 6x47 Swiss cartridge that is different (not interchangeable) with brass that is nearly impossible to get outside of Europe.

I hardly classify myself as an expert, most anyone with any trigger time behind a 6x47 rifle (or any benchrest/tactical experience) will have more experience than I, but I do read voraciously anything I see about this cartridge.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"