Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack

1 in 12" in too much of a good thing. Unnecessary even for the longest available bullets and there are downsides to too fast rifling:

higher pressures restricting max velocity before max safe pressure is reached

faster bore wear

faster/increased jacket metal fouling

slightly less accuracy due to greater effect when bullet center of mass and center of form aren't exactly coincident (which is most of the time with standard production bullets).

mmmmmm......well I had a 35 on a blown out 375H&H case with a 12 twist krieger.It did +3000 fps with a 250 gr bullet and 3150 with the 225 Sierra's.....if anything, the malady's cited above should have been dramatically exascerbated in in the 12 twist,given the much higher velocity and case capacity of my 35 vs the Whelen,and a 14-16 SHOULD have been better....once again, in theory,which so much intenet info is based upon.

Precisely none of them occured...there were no excessive pressure signs due to fast twist,accuracy was fabulous,and the bore did not foul excessively.

Just thinkin this through a bit,and using irrefutable logic,a 338(most of them)use a 10 twist;a 375 H&H uses a 12.....what is it that happens between 338 and 375 that a 35 has to have a 14 or 16 twist?

In general I'm afraid I have to say the above "problems" associated with a 12 twist in a 35 to be mostly nonsense.My suggestion is that those who think a 12 twist does not work in a 35 caliber actually buy one and shoot it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.