Originally Posted by Hubert
I never heard of greasing a paper patch. the patch works like a jacketed bullet and you woulden't grease them. the paper keeps it from leading, also by sizing you are defeating the purpose of moulding your own, which is to have a bullet slightly larger than the bore for a good seal.

I paper patched 30-06 bullets and had no problem at all with leading or accurcy.(no grease) mv 2500 fps. grin
patched 30-06 45-70 50-70

Actually there's plenty of mention of greasing the paper patch in what are now historical records. Easiest to find is in the reloading instructions within the Remington 1875 catalog.
You can fill volumes with the discussion amongst shooters whether to patch to bore or groove, I fall in the patch to bore size clan...
Running the patched bullet thru a sizer such as the Lee pushthru sizers helps to assure the proper diameter, there are several bpcr shooters doing this for match loads. In this case it also was really handy to shave the excess lube from bullet.
Can't for the life of me figure why anybody would want to paper patch a modern highvelocity smokeless cartridge like the 06 but diversity is what makes the world go around I spoze.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com