The biggest problem over here with German cars is that they are rarer and mechanics are not as familiar with them.

As far as the overall build quality of the bodywork German cars are FAR superior to American made cars and most Japanese cars. I've worked on them all (bodywork not mechanical). I was astounded the other day when working on a higher end Caddilac as to how cheap the body panels were constructed. For example the decklid had simple folded metal edges, not even seam sealed. A $20,000 VW has far better body construction than a $80,000 Cadillac.

Having worked on them before and after I am strongly of the opinion that Chryslers influence and a quite adverse effect on Mercedes Benz' quality. They are just now recovering from them.

Most Japanese cars are made well. Lexus' are excellent. I've been surprised at how much Hyundai's have improved.

Again my POV is from a bodywork and construction standpoint not mechanical but having taken apart hundreds of cars from dozens of manufacturers you do start to develop opinions. And I am maybe a little favorably prejudiced towards Mercedes since the people at the factory were so nice to work with.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................