I guess its mostly personal preference, but the wheelgun is far from outdated for me.

While its not really beneficial to have twenty different loads to try to hit with, the revolver can eat all without hesitation in a fix. I can't say that for the majority of autos I've seen, even the ones the owners say "never" jam, some costing a pretty penny.

Also, the idea of an endless plethora of bullet moulds and scrap lead can feed one with recyclable, functioning bullets for a lifetime.

The grip shapes and styles also allow more flexibility for acurate hitting and as someone brought up, finding a case in the palm of your hand is not a bad thing.

Reloading speed clips is also pretty quick compared to loading a mag stack. Duplicity or even triplicates of cartridge ammo can be housed in one gun. While the odds of needing, heeding or really wanting that can be argued, its there (firing 38 special ammo from a giant Dan Wesson 357 SuperMag is like shooting a BB gun).

I do like a 1911 type gun, the Woodsman and the Hi-Standard HD, and will not say autos are not worthless, I just like wheelies better.