Great stories. Good info and thanks to everyone for their input. Ive never elk hunted before and just wanted to be sure my combo was adequate. Everyone around here says I got the right gun but my bullet is suspect. I disagree with them on a regular basis. Read an article where a man has taken 11-12 trophy bulls with a 243. I have always believed in extreme accuracy and bullet placement. I shoot alot and I know my weapons and I know what my Ultra is doing at 400 yards. Im not afraid at all to take a 500 yard shot if i have the time to get set-up and deliver the round. Im ready to see hair in the scope. The last trip to Wyoming muledeer hunting ruined me. I had a 350 class bull roll up on me at 40 yards and stand there posing for pictures. Once he winded me, up the hill and thru the aspens he went with his cows. That picture is stuck in my head and I knew I had to come back and hunt these elk in the back country of Wyoming. My dad always said Id give up muledeer hunting if I had a few close encounters with an elk. I think hes right.