Originally Posted by hillbillybear
And just maybe while on the same hunt, he might need to perform a 400-500 shot in an open clearing?

That is exactly the type of area I mostly hunt. The majority of shots are 200 yards or less but there are some spots where you may need to reach out beyond 400 yards.
....Looks like I kinda hit one nail on the head there uh? Many of my hunting situations are the same and as such, out comes my short `n handy powerhouse.

A 7mm Remy Mag`s tube length to a few, should be no less than 24"....Other than just a little velocity loss, why so? Will a 4" difference, make all "THAT" much of a difference in noise and blast? Imo, not really. Gonna lose bunches of velocity too?.......Nope!

During the same range session with a friend a few months back, I fired the same identical factory rounds from a friend`s 23" tubed 375 Ruger African and from my 20" barreled 375 Ruger Alaskan. And with my range muffs on, there was no discernable extra noise nor muzzle blast seen or felt. And with them off (I had my buddy fire my Alaskan once and then his African once), I couldn`t hear any differences in noise levels between the two in that respect either.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger