Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Yep, my program showed 4.8 oz based on .650" OD and .284" ID and 4" length.

Here's a great program for weight calculations.

http://www.matweb.com/tools/weightcalculator.aspx

It's also that it's taking the weight off where it's really noticeable. I just took 3" off my formerly 26" .338 WM. The difference in handling borders on astounding. It was snout-heavy before, and at least for myself, a 26" tube in the woods kinda sucks.

Anyway now it balances much better and just from a couple walks I've taken with it in my woods it's much easier to maneuver around.

Yep, it kinda goes back to basic gradeschool where we first learned about simple machines. Adding or removing a bit of weight from the extreme ends of the rifle has maximum effect on handling characteristics. A quick rifle can be turned into a slug, or a slug can be turned into a quick rifle. It's not just the raw weight alone, but it is where that weight is placed or where that weight is removed, in relation to the rifle's center balance, that can have a big effect on overall dynamics.

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/21/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood