Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Penetration is but one factor in evaluating the performance of a round. The dia of the wound channel is also critical. A high velocity bullet is going to disrupt more tissue than a low velocity bullet, and once you get consistant exits, more penetration is not needed.

Years ago a sent some .475" 460 gr bullets to a guy who tested them at the Linebaugh seminar. He launched them out of a lowly 480 at a mere 1100 fps, and penetrated 38" of wet newsprint. I could conclude from that that a 480 is 83% as good as a 416 Rigby, and that your 500 linebaugh is 10% more powerful than a 416. But penetration isn't everything, and I don't hunt wet newsprint.

Penetration is not everything is correct. I was just show the fallicy of predicting penetration on velocity. The 475 Linebaugh, 500 JRH and Linebaugh will shoot through both shoulders of an QAsian Buffalo and exit on mature bull Bison. This I know because I have either done it or seen it done

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first