Originally Posted by mikeshickele
Up until a short while ago, my experience with the hornady .308 180gr interlock, was that it was a bullet that would hold together in difficult situations. My, and others experience over the last season has shown that this is no longer the case.

You have had good luck with the interlocks.. I'm happy for you. Have you considered that maybe you have been pushing the envelope with this bullet for years. It has held up beyond expectations for you. After all it is just a standard cup and core rapidly expanding frangible bullet with an added bonus feature that on occasion sometimes helps retain the core. All this for the same price or less than other bullets of similar design without this feature. Your experience of complete penetration up until now just goes to show what an exceptional bullet the interlock is, holding together beyond what can be reasonably expected for that design of bullet. You have been getting premium bullet performance from a non premium bullet. Finally your luck ran out, you had an experience where it came apart or failed to completely penetrate your animal, that is to be expected from this type of bullet, Instead of complaining you should be praising your experience with these great bullets. Apparently your expecting more penetrating performance than this bullet is designed for. If you want complete penetration everytime then perhaps spend more $$ on tougher bullets, even premium bullets designed to penetrate deeply don't always do so.