Shot placement seems to be the key factor we don't talk about all that much in these discussions.

For the great majority of shooters, bullets just go where they are supposed to much more consistently with less recoil and muzzle blast.

Have a buddy whose son has killed several truckloads of deer and hogs with a 243. He puts the bullet in the right place, and they die - and this with 100 CL's and 100 Power Shoks, along with some Speers of cup and core construction...

I've got a son whose killed a truckload or two himself with plain old 100 Grain Federal Power Shoks - the faux Ti 243 dotes on them...Here he is after he busted a couple with his Granddad...

[Linked Image]

When he was a little younger, he was with me when we shot this Axis with an 85 TSX out of a 243...We busted shoulders - shattered near one and exited far one, and he hobbled 50 or 60 yards on three legs and fell over dead - with an easy blood trail.

[Linked Image]

I doubt many whitetails or mule deer will be much bigger than this toad...

[Linked Image]

We stalked him as he came to water, and I shot him as he was leaving the little tank in the background...

[Linked Image]

Today's bullets make the 243 lethal on even the biggest deer, IMHO...and give enough margin to allow for even raking shots if necessary.

Hope to have a few more with animals taken with the 80 TTSX, which I will use with utmost confidence in the next few weeks, Lord willing.

Have a pard who can show what an 85 TSX out of a 243 does on a raking shot on a pig of mature Texas whitetail when he gets around to it...

DJ