Great way to phrase the question. Now I understand where you're coming from.

I haven't been sheep hunting specifically, but I've traveled in sheep country and read accounts of hunts. As I understand it, the requirements for a "sheep hunting" pack are decent stability for steep and rugged off trail travel, as well as the ability to carry 80+ pound loads on the way in and 100+ pound loads on the way out. I do have experience with both of those sets of requirements.

Out of the packs that I own, I'd choose the Dana terraframe hands down, no question. It sways a little more than an internal, but carries weight far better than any internal I've used. It's no longer made, and therefore not really "modern".

In answer to your question, the packs that would make my comparison list are any of the top makers' largest "expedition" packs. There is no such thing as a nimble light load of 80+lbs. You have to choose a pack geared for those weights:

- Kifaru LH
- MR G7000
- Gregory Denali Pro

I have reasons to believe that the Osprey and Arcteryx offerings top out at around 60lbs, but I suppose I'd include them in a test just to prove or disprove that bias.

No currently made externals would make my list. Not enough load control -- too dangerous for rugged off trail travel.

A svelte, lightweight pack that truly carries 80+ pounds (and the volume that that implies) well is indeed news.