John,

I have a lot of respect for your opinions based on your practical and knowledgeable posts that I've read since joining the campfire. As pertaining to this topic, I've hunted deer most of my life and admittedly, I'm smitten with Whitetail (any deer) hunting. I love the challenge of hunting a mature buck who kicks my azz most of the time. I cut my teeth on 270 wins and 30-06's. In the past 5 years, I've come to enjoy more moderate calibers for deer such as, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 7x57. Partly, because they're more fun to shoot and I enjoy the challenge "of catching larger fish on reasonable lighter tackle" but also, I want my young son who has the hunting bug to start out with effective calibers that he can handle and learn good shooting technique. Currently, I'm on a 6.5x55, 7mm-08 and 7x57 kick and have a few rifles in each. I'll hunt with them, learn about their effectiveness and ultimately weed a few out to make room for a few other interesting calibers. I'm interested in your opinion on 257 Roberts versus 25-06 (already know about the limited availability of factory ammo for the 257, I currently don't reload but have access) or any other recommendations that you have. Thanks for your time.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"