TeamRealtreeHD: I agree that the 221 Remington Fireball is a VERY efficient cartridge and capable of VERY good accuracy.
But... in the "entire 223 cartridge family" I have several examples of cartridges that are more accurate in my experience - these include several of my Rifles in 222 Remington, several of my 204 Rugers, a 222 Remington Magnum, and a 17 Remington.
Also the best group I have ever fired with an all stock factory Rifle (not including my 40X's) was done with a Remington XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington. That group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121"!
So although I am up in the air a bit - I think the 222 Remington has a definite edge in accuracy and the 204 Ruger cartridge (at least in my 5 factory Rifles) is more impressive accuracy wise than my 221's.
And this - I need to point out one small difference I have with your posting - you may have just hit the wrong numeric key on your keyboard - I believe it is properly referred to as the 222 Remington family of cartridges not the "223 cartridge family" like you posted?
After all they (the family of cartridges that followed) were all derived (based on?) the original 222 Remington - were they not?
Yes the 221 Remington Fireball is accurate, it is very quiet, it is very low of recoil, it is VERY slow to warm a barrel, the barrels last forever and it easy VERY easy on brass (brass life) - whats NOT to like?
Long live the 221 Remington Fireball!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I did some research and the 222 Remington was introduced in 1950 versus the 223 Remington which was introduced in 1964 - so the "parent" was 14 years old when the 223 was introduced.