I too was called old by a gun store clerk this past week because I expressed a preference for the 220 Swift over the 22-250 and the .222 over the .223. He was showing me a 22-250 varmint rifle which I said I had no need for because I have a good 220 Swift. His reply was " have you ever noticed that it's the old guys who like the 220 Swift and the .222 and the young guys who like the 22-250 and the .223?" I took offense at being called old, my grandfather is old.
<br>
<br>That led to a pointed discussion concerning my observations on the caliber preferences of serious prairie dog shooters that I have shot with. In a nut shell it came down to this:
<br>
<br>All said shooters had two .22 cal rifles and at least one larger caliber in something between 6mm - .243 and .25. If the shooters main dog rifle was a .222 he also had a Swift and owned neither a .223 nor a .22-250. And vice-versa, the shooter who had a .223 also had a .22-250 and not a Swift. The difference in the shooters themselves was not age, as my gun dealer suggested. It was reloading experience. The more experienced reloaders prefered the Swift and the .222 they also were more likely to have a wildcat or improved caliber for the larger gun. 6-284, .243 Ackley,ect.. while the less experienced reloaders stayed with the standard factory chamberings in 6mm Rem or standard .243. My gun store friend asked what I thought the reasons for the preferences were. I could only give him my reasoning, The 220 Swift is faster than the .22-250 and the .222 is more accurate than the .223. Factory ammo is more avaliable for the .22-250 and .223. Avaliability of factory ammo is not a factor for reloaders and it's a major concern for those who want to shoot dogs with out reloading. I don't know if my argument is universal, but it made me feel better after the OLD remark. [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775