Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've never owned one. But know some that do.
They are lightly built. That means they break easily if used hard. Been my experience that sometimes you end up using them hard simply because you misjudged the situation. Or because you are tried and got careless.
They are fine for driving on snow covered highwways and light duty off roading. But nobody uses them for extensive off roading in desert washes for instance. And I see very few of them in the high country.
Those that have them and off road seriously have extensively rebuilt and replace much of the drive line, etc. with beefier stuff. E

My experience has been the complete opposite. They work great in just about any off road situation including the desert. You should have seen the one tooling around the WSMR this past weekend on an Oryx hunt. That thing would go anywhere!

Put a SPOA lift on it and regear the transfer case and its pretty damn reliable! One of the best hunting guides in the country uses one in the desert in Nevada and he has never had any trouble and he hunts some damn rough country