Originally Posted by Ken14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Well as compelling as the ZERO EXPERIENCE is, I have experience with both and find bigger ain't always 'better'..

Speaks volumes...Im eager to try the .223 this season..let the .308 rest a bit.
Read the original post. The gentleman asks "Why do you THINK a 223 works better than larger bores on deer?" I never professed to be an expert on the subject, but since this is an open forum and I am a resgistered user I stated what I think. The OP can take it for what it's worth or not worth. He posed the question and I gave my opinion. Anyone is free to disagree and flame me for an OPINION and guess what, it doesn't make me wrong. Until I see physiological evidence based on scientific findings I'll keep my opinion. Just because a few outspoken guys on this forum have thousands of posts does not qualify them as researchers with scientific findings. If someone is gun shy and can't handle recoil and can hit well with a light caliber it beats the heck out of poor shooting, but there is no evidence, except by a few guys on the campfire that use them that they are "better" killers than a 243, 257, 7mm, 30-06, 30-30, etc. etc.. Only years of testing with scientific studies can prove or disprove it. Sorry guys, dead is dead. I think that if the 223 was such a great deer cartridge, nobody would hit the woods without one. It is in fact, that is not the case. The popularity of the cartridge is due to the military adoption of the round and it's subsequent use by military veterans, varmit hunters, and target shooters. With good bullets it has become an adequate, but I doubt better or even as good of a deer killer. Again, my opinion. No scientific evidence, just like no scientific evidence proving that it is better. The exact location of the hit IMHO dictates how quickly that death comes. As a matter of fact, one of the more outspoken and respected members on this forum said that it was the bullet, not the headstamp that matters most. Which "expert" do you want to believe? Don't forget, the definition of an "expert" is anyone 25 miles from home. All of the experts here are a long way from home here in cyberspace. LOL! Try this stuff for yourself and make up your own mind, if what you are using isn't getting it done for you. If you can't kill them with a 270, and you can shoot it well, that 223 isn't going to help you.