I've killed both moose and caribou with both the 358 and the 7mm-08, and both work quite well within their range. Of the two, I take the 7 more frequently as a better all-arounder, but the 308 would probably be an even better choice for an all-around round in a compact rifle. (A recent caribou hunt, however, did not impress me that the 120 TSX can paddle upstream with the weightier 140 - which I've never recovered in many caribou kills [in the XFB version]. I recovered a 120 in one of five animals I killed and it wasn't much impressive in expansion.) Then again, where bigger, toothy critters might be part of the equation I'd rather have the extra finger room which a standard long action offers so the '06 would be quite logical. Qualms would be few with nothing fancier than a boat paddle M77 stainless in 30-06...for me anyway.

FWIW, I have and like the Marlin stainless Guide Gun. However, when I hunt wit the 45-70 I prefer to use a #1. My Guide gun makes a camp and boat gun which ideally doesn't involve much killing, not that it couldn't. But 30 cals are very well suited to much use in Alaska. Prepare yourself rather than arm yourself for the rather improbable dire "what-if" situations.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/22/11.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.