[quote=tupolevtu95]Contrary to what Big Squeeze say: A 375 Ruger will only meet its ballistic claims with powder we cant buy. It is a 30-06 length action with a 20" barrel because the gunwriters have concluded that two or four inches of barrel length will prevent you from hunting in tight cover. You know following up that wounded Buff in the thornbush that we all do on a regular basis........
Funny thing is PHs who DO, DO that and use bolt guns don't appear to be hacksawing down their 416 Rigbys right and left.
For myself, I am left to wonder how I killed all those Whitetails in the woods of upstate NY with a 26" bbled 870 12 gauge.
A 20" barrel belongs on a 94 carbine, a 22 on a nice light Kimber 308/338. a 24 on 30-06 class cartridges and a 26 (or more) on a rifle for longer range shots in the hotter medium and small bore magnums.
If you must have a short rifle for whatever reason, buy a single shot or a double/OU.

Also, contrary to a previous sage, barrel length, all other factors held constant, does impact powder choice.
Just a simple example: The highest velocity load with a 130 TSX in my 22" 308 W 99F is with 4198 @2900 fps.
Same bullet in a 308 W in a 26" bbl M70 Target is 200 fps faster with Varget or 4895.

The longer the barrel the easier it is to hold steady or swing if tracking moving targets.
It's also a lot easier on your ears.

And a CZ 505 African Magnum comes with a 24" barrel and a real Magnum Mauser action. Have yet to read a PHs or DG Guides ripping it up because it's too long (46.5") or too heavy (10 pounds) As another sage opined:"It's a fight stopper". quote]...........Excuse me? Excuse me? And excuse me some more! Where to start with this one!

Quoting Tupolev........"A 375 Ruger will only meet its ballistic claims with powder we can`t buy?"...OH REALLY? Tell me then Tupo. What exactly are the ballistic claims (in velocity numbers) that the 375 Ruger cannot meet?

Quoting Tupolev........"It is a 30-06 lengthed action with a 20" barrel because the gunwriters have concluded that two or four inches of barrel length will prevent you from hunting in tight cover?"......Produce for me then any sources, which quote ANY gunwriter stating that,,,,"two or four more inches of barrel length WILL PREVENT you from hunting in tight cover."...I`d like to read any quote by any writer who stated as such. Instead, we will read easier maybe, but not,,,,"will prevent."

Quoting Tupey....."A 20" barrel belongs on a 94 carbine."..........Oh yeah! Now you may want to think that and that`s ok, but I`ve got some news for ya. There isn`t one darn thing that any longer barreled 45" or 46" OAL 375 H&H rifle can do, that a 20" tubed 375 Ruger chambered in a 40.75" OAL rifle package could not also do, and do so on any similiar game given the same killing distances.

Quoting Tupey......"If you must have a short rifle for whatever reason, buy a single shot or a double/OU.....With all due respect, how does one say,,,,,,"you are so full of crap",,,,in Russian? laugh

Another quote......"Also, contrary to the previous sage (try PAGE), barrel length, all other factors held constant, does impact powder choice. Just a simple example: The highest velocity load with a 130 TSX in my 22" 308 W 99F is with 4198 @ 2900 fps. Same bullet in a 308 W in a 26" bbl M70 Target is 200 fps faster with Varget or 4895."...........All other factors held constant you say? Oh really? Seems to me that your factors ARE NOT held constant enough because your barrel length for the Varget and 4895 was 4" longer @ 26" vs the 22" barrel length when you were using the 4198. Next time, try getting your chrony results using the same barrel lengths.

Quoting again........"The longer the barrel, the easier it is to hold steady or swing if tracking moving targets."........Well that is just a matter of some good `ol fashioned practicing now isn`t it!

One more quote from Tupey......"And a CZ 505 African Magnum comes with a 24" barrel and a real Magnum Mauser action. Have yet to read a PHs or DG guides ripping it up because it is too long (46.5") or too heavy (10 pounds)."........And we probably won`t read of such. But in that same regard and flipping things back to you. Can you produce any story, or any quote, from any source, whereby any writer, DG hunter, PH, or guide did in fact rip a 20" barreled DG rifle because it was too short and not heavy enough???

Your arguments against the shorter barrels are strictly emotional ones and based on personal opinion of what cartridges should only be fired from shorter barrels. You have not and cannot produce any evidence whatsoever, whereby any accuracys are lost, nor large amounts of velocity loss either.

Pop Quiz!......Off the top of your head Tupolev, and without signs of pressure, please tell me what my maximum velocities "should be" from my 20" barreled 375 Ruger Alaskan using powders that,,,I CAN BUY. Your guess for a 225 Horn SP is? Your guess for the 260 Nos AB is? And for the 270 Horn SP is what? After you answer those three with your best velocity guesses, then I`ll post my powders, the charges and the chrony results for each bullet. And also while we`re at it, try taking some good guesses as to what the max velocities "should be" in your opinion, using a 155 gr VLD, a 168 gr VLD and a 190 gr VLD fired from my 300 WSM carbine with "ONLY" a 16.5" barrel. I`ll also post those results in the same way.

Guess well my friend! Try giving it your best shot!....grin grin wink wink

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger