Originally Posted by saddlesore
I hate gutting an elk out with a flash light in my mouth in the dark more than I hate sleepy.Then there is the problem of finding the dead elk in the dark, Then finding my way out of a tangleed mass of blow downs. Of course now with these new LED head lamps, there might be a better way.

Saddlesore,
I know what you mean about gutting in the dark - but this is one area where new technology is helpful in elk hunting. We have started carrying a couple of "light sticks" to hang near the carcass if we are coming back to pick it up in the night. They shine pretty good and it helps that last few hundred feet that the gps might not. Trying to read a gps and still have night vision to crawl over blowdowns is a pain! I have also started carrying those little LED lanterns that have 6-8 bulbs. You can lay your knife or saw down beside the carcass and still see it without having to swing your headlight all over to find it.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie