Well I currently hunt with a 7mm Remington Mag and have done so for the last 5 seasons after a long Hiatus. My second centerfire rifle was a 7mm RM and it was even a Remington 700, That will make Swamp happy. I took said rifle to Africa in 1971. In a nut shell I shot 175 gr Nosler Partitions out of it. Yea they were pricey then if you look at that you got just 50 bullets vs 100 out of a box or Hornadays or Speers. But the fellow that I looked up to then hunting wise, told me, save yourself some head ache and load the Partitions in that cartridge, its cheap insurance. I have shot a lot of Speer SP's out of it over the years. Good deer bullets and yea a 160 or 175 gr will work fine on elk. I don't like bullets like bergers for game shooting, just looking at what it dose on game, it seems a bit excessive in my view, yea I know the shoot very accurately and that they will shoot a little flatter. I personally would rather get closer and as long as the bullet is accurate enough to hit a grape fruit, Its plenty by me. The hard part in all of this is finding an Elk to shoot.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov