Bullwnkl
<br>I am very familiar with the West System epoxies and would not hesitate to use them. I have found that it is not as hard as the G-1 and feels somewhat oily when cured, but that is not a problem. I have used many brands over the years, just do not use fast-setting anything. Depending on the system you have, pumps vs bottles vs buckets, just decide what you can get for the slowest setting time, and mix according to that. I mix my epoxy thoroughly, let it rest for at least 20 minutes then remix before use. With the G-1 I have plenty of open time to do that.
<br>
<br>The G-1 and G-2 are adhesive mixtures.
<br>
<br>There is absolutely no need for the oil to penetrate the wood, if it did, water could too. The oil finish will build nicely on the epoxy surface, and I have never had even the slightest lifting or peeling of an oil finish, even in sadly damaged areas.
<br>
<br>Now you bring up a different problem though when you speak of using epoxy over oil... it might not penetrate the wood as well??? i honestly have not tried it simply because I don't think it is a good idea.
<br>
<br>The oven is the way to go for heat, and there is no need to get it too hot, and remember that the heat will dry your wood very rapidly, particularly in your neck of the woods. The idea is to get it hot rapidly and go with it as too much drying will shrink your stock some and cause your wood to move around.
<br>
<br>Now though, I have a bone to pick with you, my river boat, an 18' john boat with a 75 with a jet drive is called "The Garbage Skow," and has been for about 15 years. Who has name priority here?!? ;-)
<br>
<br>Hope this helps
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.